Home Local News Man Surrenders To Police After Barricading Himself Inside Of Home In Berwick

Man Surrenders To Police After Barricading Himself Inside Of Home In Berwick

by KQKInews
2 minutes read
Man Surrenders To Police After Barricading Himself Inside Of Home In Berwick

Original story is posted below. The following is a press release issued by the Berwick Police Department on Tuesday, October 4, 2022:

On Monday October 3, 2022 at approx. 6:45 pm, officers with the Berwick Police Department went to an address on Versen St. to attempt to serve an Order of Protective Custody on a 31-year-old male subject. Information was gathered from a family member that the male subject in question was suicidal and had put a gun to his head earlier in the day and that he made threats indicating that he would shoot police if they tried to have him picked up. Officers made initial contact with the subject at the residence at which time the male refused to come to the door. It was also learned that during this contact, the male made subject was on the phone with Berwick P.D. dispatch and made a statement that he would use his gun if anyone tried to enter the home.

At this point, officers retreated and called for assistance from the St. Mary Parish Sheriff’s office negotiators and Swat team. Berwick Police Negotiator as well as St. Mary Parish Sheriff Negotiators began speaking to the subject by phone. During the course of negotiations, the subject surrendered approx. 2 hours later without incident. No injuries were reported to officers or the subject. The name of the subject is being withheld at this point. The subject was taken into custody and transported to Ochsner St. Mary for further evaluation.

Chief Leonard would like to commend our Negotiator as well as the St. Mary Parish Sheriff’s office Negotiators for the outstanding job they did on being able to resolve this matter peacefully with no loss of life or injuries. Chief Leonard would also like to thank the Sheriff’s office SRT Team for assisting with this incident.  Last night’s outcome shows that when we work together, we get good results and no loss of life or danger to our citizens. We would also like to thank the residents in the immediate area for their patience and cooperation during this incident.

Original Story:

A male subject surrendered to police on Monday evening after barricading himself inside of a home on Versen Street in Berwick.

Authorities said they were attempting to serve an order of protective custody in reference to a man that was threatening to do harm to himself.

At some point, officers received information that the man was armed with a firearm. Police then set up a parameter after they believed the man could possibly harm himself or law enforcement. Negotiators were also brought in.

The man was taken into custody without incident after he surrendered himself to authorities. The identity of the man has not been released. He was taken to a local hospital for evaluation.

You may also like

Advertise With Us

Let us help your business grow. Contact us today for advertising opportunities on the radio and also on our website.

iPhone, Android, and iPad Apps

Receive notifications about breaking news, traffic, weather, and more on your mobile device. It’s the KQKI news site on your mobile device.

Laest News

© 2023 Teche Broadcasting Corp. Weather Alerts provided by WillyWeather

Update Required Flash plugin