St. Mary Parish Sheriff Blaise Smith advises that over the last 24-hour reporting period, the Sheriff’s Office responded to 22 complaints and reports the following arrests:
Herman Jamauud Butler, 35, Patterson, LA, was arrested on November 16, 2022, at 6:43 pm for resisting an officer. Butler held a Patterson Police Department warrant for the following charges:
- Attempted second-degree murder
- Possession of firearm by a convicted felon
- Illegal use of weapons or dangerous instrumentalities
Butler also held a SMPSO warrant for the following charges:
- Possession of schedule II (crack cocaine) with intent to distribute
- Possession of schedule I (marijuana)
- Transactions involving drug proceeds
On Wednesday, November 16, 2022, detectives with the St. Mary Parish Sheriff’s Office Narcotics Section were patrolling the area of Patterson when they observed a vehicle fail to give a proper signal when making a turn. The detectives conducted a traffic stop and as the vehicle came to a stop, a passenger, identified as Butler, fled the vehicle.
Butler was quickly apprehended and warrants for his arrest were verified through dispatch. Butler was transported to the St. Mary Parish Law Enforcement Center for booking.
Bail has not been set at this time.
All persons arrested are presumed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.