On Saturday morning at approximately 1:39 am, the Franklin Fire Department responded to a structure fire on the corner of Hanson and Perret Streets in Franklin. Franklin Fire Chief Chuck Bourgeois said upon arrival, the first units reported fire showing on three sides of the structure. The fire was put under control at 2:18 am.
Centerville, Patterson, and St. Mary Parish District 11 Fire Departments provided man power and pumpers to assist in combating the fire. The cause of the fire was due to an unattended fire place inside the structure. Franklin Police Department and St. Mary Parish Sheriff’s Office assisted at the scene. Acadian Ambulance remained on standby, although no injuries were reported.
Chief Bourgeois stressed the importance of not leaving active fire places and electric heaters unattended as we go into the holiday season.