It’s that time of year! We’re not referring to Mardi Gras, we are talking about scammers attempting to get your hard-earned money. Due to the multitude of possible financial scams used, it is hard to cover them all in one topic. Scams present themselves in a variety of fashions. Some come via the internet, webmail, postal mail, and phone calls.
The Morgan City Police Department would like to give a few tips to help you protect yourself from being a victim.
- Be aware of anything that sounds “too good to be true”!
- Avoid high-pressure sales tactics.
- Ask Questions(?)
- Investigate offers made to you as a contest. “You’re a winner!”
- Check out prize claims yourself!
- Ignore “Once in a lifetime” offers!
- Never give out personal information if you are not sure of how it will be used.
- Do not respond to suspicious e-mails asking for personal information.
If you believe you are a victim of a scam or have questions, please contact the Morgan City Police Department at (985)384-2310, or your local law enforcement agency.