Breaking NewsCrimeLocal NewsPolice ReportsSt. Mary Parish

Berwick Police Department Releases Dramatic Details on Standoff with Morgan City Shooting Suspect, Fourth Suspect Also Charged

Lasheka M. Webb, 34 years old, of Versen St. Berwick, was arrested on Thursday, October 22, 2020, at 10:24PM, on the following charges:

Morgan City Police Warrants:
Principal to 8 Counts of Attempted First Degree Murder
Principal to Illegal Use of Weapons
Illegally Supplying a Felon with a Firearm

Gerald Sylvester, 31 years old, of Versen St. Berwick, was October 22, 2020, at 9:46PM, on the following charges:

Resisting an Officer with Force or Violence
2 Counts of Battery of a Police Officer

Morgan City Police Warrants:
8 Counts of Attempted First Degree Murder
Illegal Use of Weapons
Carrying of a Firearm by a Convicted Felon
Possession of a Firearm in a Firearm Free Zone

On October 22, 2020, detectives with the Morgan City Police Department contacted the Berwick Police Department requesting assistance with locating Webb and Sylvester. Both individuals held active warrants through the Morgan City Police Department stemming from an investigation by their agency into a shooting that occurred at Lawrence Park in Morgan City. Due to the nature of the offense, the Berwick Police Department secured a search warrant for the residence on Versen St.

Upon arrival at the residence, Sylvester was observed in the front yard and Webb was taken into custody inside of the residence without incident. Sylvester ignored officers’ commands and fought off officers attempts to arrest him. Officers used a taser on him and it did not have an effect on him. Sylvester reportedly began yelling at officers to kill him and removed an object from his waistband, pointed it an officer while yelling that he was going to kill the officer. The officer was able to very quickly discern that the object was a cell phone, not a handgun. Sylvester fled on foot again where more attempts were made to detain him with a taser, but none were effective.

He then jumped into a large drainage canal where he continued to yell for the officers to kill him. A perimeter was immediately established around this area to keep this incident contained. After over an hour of negotiations with Sylvester, he exited the canal where he was taken into custody without further incident. Sylvester and Webb were booked into the Berwick Jail and released to the custody of the Morgan City Police Department following booking procedures. Chief Leonard would like to thank the following agencies for their assistance in this matter: The Morgan City Police Department, the St. Mary Parish Sheriff’s Office, and the Assumption Parish Sheriff’s Office.

Show More

Leave a Reply

Back to top button
Skip to content