Local NewsSt. Mary Parish

Bayou Teche Flood Control Structure Groundbreaking Ceremony

“The Bayou Teche Flood Control Structure project will reduce the risk of storm surge into the Bayou Teche via the Charenton Canal. Most of the storm water drainage of the surrounding area to the northeast through the Charenton Canal into the Gulf of Mexico. Once the project is completed the interior storage area would have enough retention capacity for a 25 year rain event. While also providing flood risk reduction for a 10′ storm surge.”
Total cost to construct the project is $11,448,647.00. 90% of the funding is provided through the LA DOTD Statewide Flood Control Program. The remaining 10% will be funded by the St. Mary Levee District. Estimated construction is projected at 300 calendar days. (Information provided by the St. Mary Levee District)

Show More

Leave a Reply

Back to top button
Skip to content